OUR ADOPTION PROCESS:
- Come visit our adoptable pets in person at the shelter or on-line on our website. Once you have found a pet that you are interested in, you can spend time getting to know them in our adoption room or take the pet on a walk outside.
- The next step is to fill out an application. This can be done in person or on-line.
- The application will be reviewed, for approval or denial, by our staff and you will be informed of that decision within 24 hours. Applications submitted on Sundays will not be reviewed until Monday morning.
- When you have made your decision, you will meet with one of our receptionists to complete the adoption process. This paperwork can take 30 to 45 minutes to complete. While you are doing the paperwork, your new pet will be getting a bath, the medical record will be checked to ensure that all the necessary medical procedures have been completed, the pet will be double checked for fleas, and nails will be clipped.
- We accept cash, debit or credit cards to pay the adoption fee. We do not accept checks.
- We stop taking adoptions 30 minutes prior to closing each day.
PUPPIES (under 6 months of age) $250.00
DOGS (6 months to one year of age) $150.00
DOGS (over 1 year of age) $100.00
CATS AND KITTENS $ 50.00 (or two for $75.00)
SENIORS (Cats or dogs over 7 years)Ask Staff for Adoption Fee
THE ADOPTION FEE INCLUDES:
- All vaccinations up to and including the rabies vaccine. For puppies and kittens this is given at 16 weeks of age. Depending on the age of your new pet, you may have to make additional visits to the shelter to complete the vaccines.
- A microchip. All the necessary information will be provided to you on how to properly register your pet’s microchip. It is your responsibility to register this chip.
- Your pet’s Spay or Neuter: Your pet must be spayed or neutered as part of the adoption process. There are no exceptions. If your pet is older than 12 weeks of age, this procedure will already have been completed. If your new pet is less than 12 weeks of age at the time of adoption, a surgery appointment will be scheduled. You make a $25.00 deposit to insure you will return the pet for surgery or have surgery performed at a private veterinary service. This deposit will be refunded to you at the time of the surgery. If this surgery is not completed within 60 days of your adoption, the deposit will not be refunded. If you choose to have your veterinarian perform the procedure, your deposit will be refunded when proof of the procedure is received.
- If you are adopting a cat, the adoption fee includes FELV/FIV testing. All of our adoptable cats/kittens have tested negative.
- If you are adopting a dog over six months of age, the dog will have been tested for Heartworm disease. If the pet has tested negative, it will have been started on a heartworm preventative. It will be your responsibility to continue the heartworm preventative for the life of the dog. If the dog has tested positive, we will have treated the pet already. You will be given instructions as to any follow up required.
OTHER IMPORTANT ADOPTION INFORMATION:
- We require the new pet live indoors with you. Cats must be indoors at all times. This is required because proper socialization of your new pet is essential to his or her new life with you. Pets will need to become a part of your family unit to help prevent behavior and socialization issues which can arise from a lack of interaction. In order to create proper bonding with your new pet, they need to live with you indoors. It is a part of our adoption requirements!
- Your new pet’s history is often times unknown. Our staff will inform you of whatever information we have. Our staff has also spent considerable time working with and caring for your new pet. They will provide you with behaviors, likes and dislikes, and other traits they have observed.
- We usually do not know what breed mix your new dog is. We often only know what mom is. Dad is usually a mystery. We will give you our best guess as to the breed of your new pet. Since this is a guess, we make no guarantees as to the breed type. Since overall size of the pet is also our best guess, we can make certain estimates based on information we have and from examination of the pet. We make no guarantees, size is just an estimate!
- We do allow home visits; for adult dogs only. It is our goal to find our dogs a forever home and for you to find the perfect fit for your lifestyle. These home visits are granted on a case by case basis. You will be informed at the time of the adoption if a home visit will be allowed and the terms of that visit. Home visits are allowed only for approved applicants.
- We do not give refunds on returned adoptions. Be sure this new pet is going to fit into your family and lifestyle. Adopting a new pet is a big commitment. It is for the life of the pet, 10 to 18 years!
- We do allow you to place a dog on hold. The length of the hold will be approved by designated staff. This requires a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit.
PUPPIES (under 6 months of age)$100.00
DOGS (6 months to one year of age)$ 75.00
DOGS (Over one year of age)$ 50.00
CATS/KITTENS $ 25.00